Ender's Game for Young Adults?

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

First off you are either an adult or a child. Young Adult must be a new term, because as far as I knew there was never an in between. I don't recall calling my Grandpa an 'Old Adult'. That is just a cry for punishment. Recently, Ender's Game has been targeted towards younger audiences (teenagers, etc.). I have seen the book riding in the "Young Adult section at Target and all over the place. The reason is the whole idea of 'kids in space', I would think. Although the book does deal with kids in space, they are NOT normal kids. NOT being the operative word. They are kids with very high intellect. I don't even know if I would call them kids? While younger readers would very much understand the book, I would not call it a 'Young Adult" book. Its principles and attitudes swing more toward an actual adult, or an older teenager.

3 comments

Lore said...

I agree with you. Great Post!

January 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Baley Petersen said...

Nice post. You're right--they're not normal kids. Ender is hand picked. In fact, he's conceived specifically for the purpose of being chosen by the IF. I think that there are elements that young folks can relate to (the cruel bullying, for example), but ultimately it's far more effective as a philosophical adult sci-fi.

January 2, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Kenley said...

Baley,

Thanks for stopping by. There are some aspects of the book that can be targeted towards kids, like you said, bullying. But the whole agenda of the book is a little more complicated. I just started this up. I will be addressing more "think about it" type posts in the future. If you are a enders game fan, then stay tuned especially. I will also be throwing more in here, hence the "and more". lol. Hope you had a great New Years, and have a good one.

January 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Post a Comment